On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 6:02 AM, Erik Christiansen
<dva...@internode.on.net>wrote:

> On 01.11.12 18:40, Peter Blodow wrote:
> > How is the position of the balls rsp. the pendulum detected?
> > Peter
>
> My guess is that the beam pivot has a servo motor and quadrature
> encoder. If the ball is off-center, then the beam pivots, unless
> sufficient restoring torque from the motor is applied. The amount of
> torque (current) required at any instant would then be a measure of ball
> position, if the beam is not accelerating, I figure.

For that system in  particular a linearized model is feasible and very
light computationally, then, as you can obtain acceleration from the
encoder, then
 you can have a model based position feedback. I would choose a Kalman
filter approach, to cope with the noise in acceleration, and maybe
simultaneous identification of the relevant inertia and friction
parameters. You can as well use a nonlinear model (then extended Kalman
filtering) for extra precision.

Javier