2012/11/20 andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>:
> On 20 November 2012 11:23,  <kqt4a...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I see a great many lower priced switching supplies
>
> Possibly because a motor power supply contains too few components to
> bother selling as a unit.
> A transformer, rectifier and capacitor is all that is needed. And the
> transformer may be optional.

For my last 3 machines I used ~1kW transformer with 220VAC input and
20VAC output, which gives ~28 VDC after rectification. My current
build has 800W transformer with 20VAC output, that machine has 2 7i39
drives, 10A for each motor is 40A total. That is what transformer
rated for, but I am now curious to find out, if capacitors, when they
will be charged, will not actually draw a lot more current. What do
others think about it? How can I calculate that?

BTW those are custom-made for me torroidal transformers by a company
in Poland. The 1kW transformer cost me 200EUR, including shipping, the
800W was 150EUR. I managed to burn down 50A rectifier bridge (despite
the heatsink), but I was not able to feel by hand that transformer had
warmed even a little. They work really great.
If anyone ever needs, let me know, I can pass their contacts.

--
Viesturs

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto