On Thursday 22 November 2012 12:10:26 Pete Matos did opine:

>    First off Happy Thanksgiving to all of my EMC/linuxCNC friends.  I am
> kinda new around here with EMC and I recently bought a used Cincinatti
> Arrow 500 VMC for my shop. Initially the hope was to be able to fix the
> original control and get it running. UNFORTUNATELY after several
> thousand dollars were spent I had a few more failures of the original
> control components and decided to just stop the bleeding here. I
> started looking seriously into retrofitting the machine here and
> happened upon a couple fellows who already have Cincinatti VMC's
> running under linuxCNC control. After speaking with one of them and
> hearing good reviews I found my way here.
>
>     My plan is to literally start over with this machine for the simple
> fact that I do not trust any of the original components. Therefore I
> have gutted the electronics cabinet of everything with the exception of
> the original relays and the main on/off contactor rotary switch.  The
> only things remaining of the original control are going to be the main
> spindle motor, the toolchanger and power drawbar pneumatics, and the
> limit switches and home switches.  I plan to purchase completely new
> motors and drives for all three axes and I am seriously looking into
> the Teco models. These are 130mm 1000 watt 2000 rpm  4nm motors on the
> x and y and 6nm on the z axis. I have already purchased a brand new
> Intel Atom D525 motherboard, a solid state hard drive 90gb, 4gb ram, a
> brand new 15.6" widescreen monitor for the control pendant as well as a
> sweet industrial waterproof/debris proof keyboard.  Just yesterday I
> purchased the Mesa Electronics KIT with the 5I25 and 7I77 analog drive
> boards and cabling.
>
>    The machine's electronics are substantially based on a 110v control
> power setup for the relays and pneumatic solenoids apparently from what
> I hear talking to Lee who has been so kind to share his experiences
> retrofitting the same exact machine with the same exact control.  I
> hope to be able to learn from you guys here about what it takes to
> perform this retrofit. The intention unless I am advised otherwise is
> to run the motors and drives under an analog 0-10v control setup and
> use the original relays that appear to be in good shape to switch the
> 110v pneumatics for the toolchanger and power drawbar on and off as
> needed.
>
>    My initial GOAL is to get all three axes working with the limits and
> homes setup  and get a temporary pneumatic setup working for the power
> drawbar so I can use the machine WITHOUT the toolchanger initially.
> Eventually I hope to implement a ladder logic setup for the toolchanger
> to get the entire machine working as it did originally only better.  I
> am looking for advice here about how best to approach this challenge
> and what steps to take and in what order. Right now over this
> thanksgiving weekend I hope to be able to start mocking up the new atom
> [...]

Welcome Pete!  AFA pix are concerned, I have used my own page, or
pastebin.ca, setting about a week or less expire, then post the link to it
that pastebin gives you to here.  Stuff I put on my own page tends to not
expire & then gets stale. :(

Cheers, Gene
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.