On Sunday 09 December 2012 09:17:01 Erik Christiansen did opine:

> On 09.12.12 05:31, John Thornton wrote:
> > Yea, there is nothing intuitive about man pages... either you know the
> > magic names or your lost.
>
> Probably the easiest way to make that connection for the user is to add
> a one-line manpage for each of loadrt, addf, setp, net, etc, along the
> lines of ".so filename", as described in ""man zsoelim".

Now that seems like a worthwhile project.

> I don't have LinuxCNC manpages on this host, but can demonstrate with
> another manpage and a fictitious new one, "fred". The manpage file for
> gawk is:
>
> $ man -w gawk
> /usr/share/man/man1/gawk.1.gz
>
> so to redirect the new one to it:
>
> # echo .so man1/gawk.1.gz > /usr/share/man/man1/fred.1
>
> Now:
>
> $ man fred
>
> throws up the gawk manpage. I'm fast catching up with Gene apropos
> forgettery skills, so might just whack them in on the other host.
> (So long as I remember to do that.)

I swear, its contagious, Erik.

> And, yes, I have the "mandb" manpage database gumpf hereآ¹ too:
>
> $ file /var/cache/man/index.db
> /var/cache/man/index.db: GNU dbm 1.x or ndbm database, little endian
>
> But man is clever enough to snuffle about if what you ask for isn't in
> there.
>
> Erik
>
> آ¹ $ more /etc/issue
>   Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS \n \l

Thanks Erik.

Cheers, Gene
The best thing about being bald is, that, when unexpected company arrives,
all you have to do is straighten your tie.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...