Google Allegro ACS712 Current Sense IC, this would do what you want.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 01:34:37
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)<emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Subject: [Emc-users] Thoughts on an electronic fuse

Greetings all;

The thought has occurred to me that an alternative to using the iffy, and
because the pid.error is subject to slight variations due to non-
linearities of speeds, making any comp type trip off have a best guess as
to when to activate, seems like a SWAG at best.

So, how about a small current transformer around one of the wires leading
to the real fuse?  Their consistency is good enough the power folks drive
their usage meters from them at the heavier load sites.

That then needs a way to get it into the machine via a spare pin on the
cnc2pc C1G card. E-Stop in most likely.

Does anyone have a URL where I could find a toroid suitable for developing
a logic level output from a 3 amp current flow, or the math to wind my own?

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene
Win98 error 005: Mouse not found. Click left mouse button on ok to
continue.
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...