Greetings

-----Original Message-----
From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
Sent: 03 January 2013 11:45

I have a 1.25" bore gear hob, and a 1" bore horizontal milling arbor for my
milling machine.

I am trying to figure out how to make an adaptor. The ideal thing would have
an internal keyway and an external key, but I can't off-hand think of a way
to make that with sufficient guarantee of concentricity.

The "Plan B" is a machined sleeve with holes for pegs which can engage both
keyways.

Not having ever used a horizontal milling arbor, should there be a
full-length key? Mine appears to only have one very short key.

The arbors I have used typically have a long key going through all the
spacers. A short key might wander axially under extended heavy cutting.

If you turn the OD and bore the ID of your adaptor then the straightness of
the arbor is probably a bigger error than your adaptor's concentricity. I
don't think the keys matter that much - unless I misunderstand the question.

John Prentice