Jeremy;

On 2013-02-28, at 10:33 PM, jeremy youngs wrote:

> i did mean to say will do step gen without the daughter card :)
> I really dont want to put a lot in this first gen control as i really...

My story. Pre-coffee, so hope it makes sense.

I had some conceptual difficulties with the 5i25, going from software stepper
(driving a Gecko G540) to this drop in replacement.

The main issues I had was in thinking about "input output pins".

Basically, I loaded the "g540x2" image at startup. I had to stop thinking about
pins at the DB25 connector, and concentrate on the functions - the output of
the functions themselves actually drove the DB25 pins.

The 5i25 can drive a G540 stepper controller, or it can drive one of the
stepper/servo boards. (or, probably other things). The 5i25 does not need to be
re-programmed to change what it is connected to, it is configured on startup
with a "do this" parameter.

Once I figured it out it makes sense, and I'm really happy with my
configuration now.

I purchased 2 5i25s, and one 7i76 (the stepper daughter card). One 5i25 is in
place as a replacement for a dumb parallel port card. The other 5i25 and 7i76
is for a CNC lathe I'm putting together - I wanted spindle rotation reading for
threading, and I believe that this combo will work well.

Software stepper is a great way of getting a machine up and running, so no
issues there. Adding the 5i25 allowed me to increase speeds while not getting
"following errors" or RTAI errors, which did show up once in a while before.

Hope this helps - down to get coffee.

John A. Stewart.