On Friday 22 March 2013 11:22:16 jeremy youngs did opine:

> forgive me but im recalling the cnc mill vs lathe discussion of about
> a week ago and im thinking both of these operations can be done in a
> cnc lathe with a 3 dollar hand ground hss tool.
> im not knocking what you have accomplished as its good work inddeed:)
> im just sayin :)

I think that was a little more than a week ago, but the only time I tried
to hand grind a single tooth, I took it back to the mill with the thread
half cut and resharpened it to the proper angles using my A axis to set the
angles.  I can get a far sharper edge using a dremel diamond disk than I
can hand grind on a 120 grit wheel on my bench grinder.  I do not turn it
with the dremel though as its minimum speed is still too fast, overheating
the diamond and dulling it prematurely.  The 2500 revs my mill can muster
works much better.

When I was a bench tech at OceanoGraphic Engineering in 1959, I saw our
machinist pull an small electric motor powered thing out of his tool
cupboard, that had a 1/4" post sticking up out of its frame along side a
brass disk the motor turned at about 200 rpm, and a tool holder that looked
like a block of swiss cheese with many 1/4" holes through it at marked
angles.  He wet the top of that brass disk with a small drop of diamond
dust in oil & added enough oil to coat the disk & smeared it around for an
even coat.  Fixing a dull 1/4 hss tool in the holder, he then spent about
30 seconds on each face of the tool by dropping it over the post so it was
held at the right angle & swept it over the face of the spinning wheel.
Took about a minute.  Tested it on his arm to see if it cut hair, which it
did.  He took it back to the huge Clausing we had bought to make cases for
the cameras & used it for about an hour making the cuts in the end of two
bronze cases about 7" in diameter where the Navy supplied quartz windows
were to be fitted.  They were going on the Trieste for its dive into the
marianes trench in Feb '60.  Or 61, I forget, but wikipedia has the details
anyway.

I have been threatening to make me one of those disks and buy an oz of
diamond dust in oil. I have never seen such a tool sharpener in the
catalogs since.  Do any of the other old timers here have, or know where
one similar could be purchased today?

Cheers, Gene
My views
Alimony is the curse of the writing classes.
                -- Norman Mailer
I was taught to respect my elders, but its getting
harder and harder to find any...