On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 12:19 AM, Greg Bernard <yankeelena2...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Do any of you guys have a recommendation for Windows emulation software?
> WINE has worked welll for most of my applications but now I've started
> using Rhinocad  which won't run on WINE. From what I can tell Virtualbox
> and VMware are the most popular choices but I'd like to hear other peoples
> experience before I dive in.

Greg:

Neither VirtualBox nor VMware emulates Windows. Rather, they create a
environment in which Windows can run "as if" it were installed to bare
metal (which means you still need to have a copy of Windows to install).

Having said that, I've used both. I ultimately settled on VB out of
laziness more than anything and haven't kept up with VMware in recent
years. VB has performed satisfactorily for me with one caveat. The graphics
driver it presents to applications is never as "good" as native drivers*.
Whether that matters in your application is something you have to decide
for yourself. Don't be discouraged by what you read on the Internet. The
widespread display of certitude based on ignorance is breathtaking.

It costs nothing but some space on your hard drive and a little of your
time to install VB. Give it a try. I use it all the time because it makes
management of multiple, differently flavored hosts dead easy.

Good luck.

Regards,
Kent

*This statement may be more apparent when running Windows as a virtual host
than when running Linux as a virtual host but of course YMMV.