Anyone using LinuxCNC with a CandCNC Dragon Cut system? That hardware looks
like the perfect setup for a large plasma table, provided I can keep the gantry
weight down. Would definitely save a lot of time making bits and pieces from
various sources work together.

I still want to make a few pennies scream by using free software instead of
Mach3. ;-)

What bugs me about it, and many other kits for plasma tables, is the motor for
the Z axis is waaaayyyyy overpowered. 620 oz-in for moving the gantry, but for
raising and lowering a torch head that only weighs a few pounds?

The only other motor option they show is all motors at 300 oz-in. That's still
using a sledgehammer to crack eggs for the Z axis.

Now if I could come up with a way to use all that excess power, perhaps a
second head fitting with a drill chuck and its own spindle motor, use the 620
oz-in grunt to push it down.