Use the port connectors which used to come with later AT style and some ATX
motherboards.

Computers shops that have been around for a while should have a bunch of them
if they haven't cleaned out their old stuff. Just be aware that the header
pinouts on those used to be one way, then Intel decided, "We're going to change
the standards." and the rest of the PC industry went "Eh, sure, whatever Intel
says is what we'll go with."

The shops may also have some dead I/O cards to remove slot brackets from, or
slot brackets already on the port connectors that were to be used in cases
without port knockouts.

If you can't find any of those serial and parallel port connectors, you can
make them from a solder cup style D connector, an IDC header connector and a
length of ribbon cable. The benefit of DIY is you can make female DE-9 ports
and wire male DB-25 ports for parallel instead of serial.

Just make sure to label the nonstandard ones!

As for boards to use for LinuxCNC, I wonder how a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H would
do? It's not too old yet has one header for a parallel port and one header for
a RS232 port. The connectors were optional extras, weren't in the box. I picked
it up at a yard sale, new, never used, for six dollars. :-) Then I spent $50 on
a 3.2 Ghz Phenom II X2 555 Socket AM3 CPU... If only it had an SB710 instead of
SB700 chipset, I could unlock it to a quad core. The guy I bought it from had
been running it that way.