On Thursday 11 April 2013 22:13:10 Jon Elson did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Somebody thinking "outside the box", and making perfect sense.  The
> > only fly in the soup is the 10,000 step encoder, and servicing it at
> > 200 rpS to get that 12,000 rpms
>
> If you run a stepper motor at 12,000 RPM, it will burn up in minutes.
> You can spin a typical stepper with the spindle motor, and above 1000
> RPM it will
> get very hot with no current at all in the windings.  That is all iron
> loss. 12,000 RPM will require insane voltages be applied to the drive,
> several hundred Volts.  A typical stepper may generate 50 V at 1000
> RPM, so that would require a 600 V supply just to equal the back EMF at
> 12K.

And I never considered the iron loses Jon, but you are dead on.

> Oh, but then cogoman said :
>
>  "the stepper motor could be designed with less steps per rev. "
>
> Yes, then why make it a stepper at all?  How about an 8-pole
> brushless servo motor?  These work GREAT, used by Fanuc
> since the late 1980's, and now available from many sources.
> I make affordable servo amps for brushless motors, and
> have one on my minimill.  You do need to get rotor position
> info from the motor, most small ones have Hall sensors that
> you connect to the servo amp.  I use 500 cycle/rev encoders
> on mine, that is quite satisfactory.
>
> Jon

That also makes great sense as long as its economical enough to do.

Cheers, Gene
My views
  Evil isn't all bad.
dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million
          law-abiding citizens.