Ron Bean wrote:
> We have a Bridgeport mill with an old ProTrak 15020 2-axis CNC system

You've already reported the motors have brushes.  You need to see what they
are driving them with, and see if they appear to still be serviceable.
If the servo amps are industry-compatible, they would take +/- 10 V velocity
commands, and both Mesa and Pico Systems (my company) have interfaces
to drive them.  Then, you need to see what the encoder or other position
sensor is, and find out what resolution it provides.  It is possible to run
with pretty low resolution encoders on systems with tachometer feedback,
but you may need to replace them with higher resolution if you are
going to replace the servo amps and lose the tach feedback.
I have some manuals for a number of different servo amps if you have
one of the common makes in the machine.

Finally, you probably will want to add a 3rd CNC axis at some point.

If you decide to trash all the electronics due to age and condition, I
have a different system that uses digital PWM control for the servo amp,
but as I mentioned above, may need the improvement of the encoders.
If your encoders have incandescent light bulbs in them, then maybe
they should be replaced for safety reasons, too.  (If the bulb goes out,
you can have a servo runaway.)

Jon