On Friday 26 April 2013 18:22:42 John Kasunich did opine:

> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013, at 05:33 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > IIRC the unit value is in microseconds
>
> No.  Old version, units are thread periods.  New version, nanoseconds.
> Microseconds were never used.

Thanks John.  Humm, my mill is running fine with steplen 1 and stepspace 0,
like I was complaining about in my reply to the OP.  Dirsetup and dirhold
are 10,000 because the MM-542 does not actually specify that parameter.

However, that sounds like I should be using something in the 1000-1500
range for steplen/stepspace.  But its not really scope probe accessible to
measure without major disassembly.  Port pin reset times in the .hal are
however 2500, so I would think that is the actual governing behavior.  Is
it not?

Cheers, Gene
My views
My favorite sandwich is peanut butter, baloney, cheddar cheese, lettuce
and mayonnaise on toasted bread with catsup on the side.
                -- Senator Hubert Humphrey
         law-abiding citizens.