Personally, it looks like a mechanism that is part of 35mm film handling
equipment.  Like a projector or even camera.  When in college I worked and
helped projectionist in a local theater where we handled film like that.
 In the '20s cellulose was used and could be part of 'flash fires' that
killed many projectionists so the fully enclosed tape canisters. [In some
projection rooms I was in that were built in the '20s, there are fire
doors.  The automatically slam shut by gravity, and are to heavy for one
person to open.  So if a projectionist is trapped inside, they are
considered 'lost'.  There were also fire doors on the 'projection windows'
that the movies are shown through to into the theater that would slam shut
too (about 1ft x 1ft square and also glass covered, normally)]