On 05/02/2013 06:18 AM, andy pugh wrote:
> Why WiFi? assuming that your LinuxCNC machine is powered by the mains,
> you might find Homeplug to be a more robust, simpler, solution.
> http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-HomePlug-Powerline-Wall-Plug-Adapter/dp/B003ULOZ5W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367489806&sr=8-2&keywords=homeplug
>
> For example.

I put three of those two unit sets in my Amazon shopping cart, for a
total of 6 units, to supply internet access to four LinuxCNC devices in
two locations.  I was surprised at the prices of the various versions,
where one unit was slightly more expensive than two identical units, etc.

I then shopped for some panel mount USB extension cables so I could plug
in the LinuxCNC remote JogIt pendant, the dongle for the wireless
Logitech K400 keyboard, etc.  I checked other email, waiting to make
sure that no better LinuxCNC network option emerged on this list.  A
couple of hours passed, and when I tried to check out at Amazon, the two
packs of the XyXEL PLA407 power line adapter became unavailable.  I
searched again, and it's still available from the same seller, but the
price jumped from $49 a pair to $69 a pair, so it's a $60 increase for
the three pairs I was buying.  You snooze, you lose.  :-(

I'm going to shop a little more, but I'm pretty sure I'll buy some
version of power line network hardware for the robust simplicity, but
that doesn't mean that I'm not very interested in Mark's WiFi card
that's apparently plug-n-play with any Linux and LinuxCNC.

> Andy Pugh wrote:
> The cheapest one that I know of that will work in that mode is this one:
> http://www.amazon.com/W311R-Wireless-N-Broadband-Detachable-IEEE802-11b/dp/B00BVFO6IU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367507966&sr=8-3&keywords=Tenda+W311R%2B

I bought the prior version of that same WiFi router / bridge / access
point, based on a recommendation from you, over a year ago. That was the
product that I previously referred to in the original post in this thread.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the great suggestions and info.