W/ DQ control most of these problems become FAR simpler problems to deal
with.  But at that point you might as well go 'whole hog' and servo an
induction motor.  VR motors are attractive becasue they use cheap & simple
controls.   Once you need a real processor an induction machine does a
better job once you accept it takes a little more math to control it.
Google universial field oriented (UFO) control if anyone is more interested
in it.

All motors have temperature, position, and flux level
dependencies/non-linearities.  But they can be fairly easily dealt w/ in
the proper control.  When we were doing ULTRA low slip induction motors
drives we started w/ an extra loop of wire on the face of the poles to
sense the gap flux.  But the mathematical models of the motors were so
good, calculated equaled measured and we did away w/ the extra expense of
putting the windings in the motor and the ckts to measure them.  And that
was nearly 20yrs ago.  I would have killed for the processors we use today;)

SMD