On Wednesday 08 May 2013 09:36:18 kqt4a...@gmail.com did opine:

> Has anyone any experience converting a Grizzly G8689 mini mill
>
> Richard

Not that one specifically, but I've done the micro-mill.

I made the motor mounts and all metal sliding joint couplings to connect
nema 23 steppers to the x,y screws, mostly on my then manual 7x12 lathe.
Its now LCNC'd too.

Then I bought 2 more of the bearing hubs on the ends of the tables the
screws run in and carved them back a bit to put small ball bearing thrust
washers in each face which reduced the motor required torque by half or
more.  I also drill & tapped them for grease fittings.  And somewhere along
the line LMS sold me the bigger table kit for it.

On those smaller mills where the Z screw is behind the post, don't waste
_any_ time trying to motorize that, the Z ways are about 3" too short and
the instant a drill bit touches down it will wedge itself to the post.  I
tried that, but 5 lbs on the drill bit was the best a 425oz motor could
muster.  Very bad design, and one that, given the tools to cut v-ways, will
get fixed with a whole new slider to run up and down the post.  Eventually.
If I don't fall over first.

Also, the pull handle to advance the spindle has been removed, and the draw
bolt in the casting to adjust the tension on the spindle barrel has been
pulled up tight so that doesn't move and screw up LCNC's idea of where Z
might be.  The rack and pinion that drives that is so sloppy with backlash
I never considered trying to motorize that with its 1/16" or more of
backlash.  The only thing it was good for was to supply the push the Z
screw couldn't when using it for a drill press

In the meantime, I turned the gearcase 90 degrees to make some clearance
between the case and the post, and drilled into the top of the casting and
planted a 1/2 Acme thread bolt about 1.5 inches or so in front of the post
and thereby reducing the tilt leverage by about 5", then made an assembly
that is bolted to the sides of the post, holding a ball bearing nut carrier
carrying two of the nook nuts so I can adjust backlash, with the whole nut
assembly turned by a 425oz motor with about a 2.5/1 geardown via a timing
belt.  I can now put a bath scale under the head and push the down button
and get 155lbs of push to drill a hole.  But as its worn into the post,
stiction seems to be the order of the day, so if I need to do a 1 thou down
move, I pick it up 20 thou and set it back down 21 thou in G0 move.  I can
fix it for an hours or so by splashing the ways with Vactra and running it
up and down to distribute it, but it may come back mid job so I've gotten
into the habit of just writing the rapids moves into my code.

There are some pix on my web page in the sig below, click emc link,
somewhat old now, but they show how the rebuilt Z is made.

As far as linuxcnc, and its interface, a cnc4pc C1G breakout board, a 28
volt 10 amp switchmode supply, and 4 2m542 drivers are all in one box on a
shelf above.  Box is mostly sealed against swarf, has a strong internal fan
to move the heat to the box walls, and the box walls are then cooled with a
muffin fan blowing across the top of it.  I also have a 425 motor on a 4
inch el-cheapo rotary table. Mountable as A,B,C depending on what I am
doing.

Also, the circuit board for the speed control in the gearcase was removed
because it was catching flying grease, and it and a PMDX-106 were built
into a separate box so I have LCNC control over spindle speed and direction
of rotation.

Cheers, Gene
My views
BOFH excuse #94: