My favorite method of installing LinuxCNC is to download the ISO, but
instead of burning a CD, I use unetbootin to create a bootable USB flash
drive.  I make sure the BIOS knows to boot from the USB device if it's
bootable before booting from the hard drive, and I boot the USB just
like booting from CD and I install from there.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net

The flash memory installation seems faster to me, and lately I've been
installing to small low power Atom processor based motherboards with no
CD ROM drive... but everything has a USB port!

I carry an 8GB USB flash drive the size of my thumbnail in my pocket all
the time.  I never know when I might need to install LinuxCNC. :-)  It's
also handy to do a latency test on a PC to see if it would be
appropriate for LinuxCNC, and it's handy to have a memory test utility
sometimes too.

If you're using flash memory instead of a hard drive, you might want to
max out the RAM so Ubuntu won't be tempted to swap out some RAM to the
swap partition and wear out your flash memory.  That may only be an
issue if (like me) you're tempted to run Firefox, watch YouTube videos,
view large PDF datasheets or tooling catalogs, etc.