I originally posted this on IRC, but my network died so I couldn't discuss
it.

I was 4 hours into a 3D print using linuxcnc, and the machine crawled to an
almost complete stop. My job was still running, but it executed 1 line of
gcode, then pausing for 2 seconds. Axis wasn't showing the preview. The DRO
read all 0.  'top' showed CPU at about 5% (it normally 80% or more because
of axis).

While the job was running, I was writing a monitoring application (on
windows in c#) that would connect to linuxcncrsh and query the machine
status every 5 seconds.  I noticed the linuxcncrsh code reuses the nml
interfacing code in halui.cc.  Does this mean that linuxcncrsh uses the same
nml channel as axis?  Could this have been my problem?

After rebooting, I restarted my job and it completed fine (it took 8 hours
:( ) without using linuxcncrsh.