On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Mark Wendt <wendt.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The root account is already created, but it's locked.  At least it is on
> every Ubuntu build I've ever done, either for LinuxCNC or the desktops and
> laptops I've built here at work.

I'm pretty sure all you have to do is give the root account a
password.  I'm starting to question the security of the sudo approach
that has been taken with Ubuntu because sometimes I will be logged in
for hours, and when the computer tells me there is an update, it
doesn't ask for a password.  This is on a 12.04 machine.  Seems like
installing things as root is the way to go.