On 10.08.13 20:38, Tolip Wen wrote:
>    AVR has similar MCU's available if that is your flavor of choice.
>    I don't know of any AVR devices that come on tiny PCB's ready to program
> though.

There's a whole range of Arduino boards, some as kits (saving a few
dollars), plus daughter boards, populated or bare.

I have a KitTen (with ATmega32p) on the corner of the desk, currently
with a Bitscope hooked up, because it's not initialising a 2x16 LCD,
using my home-grown LCD driver. (All the generated signals are exactly
as programmed though, and I've followed the datasheet, with plenty of
timing margin.) I'll have to wire up another LCD with the plug pinout
I'm using, to check that I'm not being fooled by a bung LCD. (They were
surplus.) Hopefully one will work, because I've already milled cutouts
for the LCD and keypad in the cast Al enclosure.

The KitTen had just enough experimenting area for me to add an RS485
transceiver and a quad RS422 receiver for differential signals from a
spindle encoder, etc. But a bare daughter board (shield) is cheap, and
the resulting sandwich is quite compact.

They come with a bootloader, for simple serial downloading, but also
have the ISP header.

Using the on-chip timer/counters to generate stepping pulses for the
Leadshine DM442 is the easy part. (Well, when I get back to it. We had
storms out on the farm, and I've only cleared half the fallen trees off
the tracks, and two off the fence. The economy of heating with arboreal
biomass¹ is fine compensation, though.)

I think I would have liked the MSP430, but it wasn't supported by gcc
when I became hooked on Atmel's AVRs, quite a few years ago.

Erik

¹ Everything has to have green credentials these days.

--
Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Schedules:
   The first ninety percent of the task takes ninety percent of the