On 04.09.13 15:21, andy pugh wrote:
> On 4 September 2013 14:05, Stuart Stevenson <stus...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Oil bath bearings in the bottom of a gearbox are bathed in ALL of the wear
> > particles of the gear train - not a good situation.
>
> That's an interesting point.
>
> I guess it is possible that the idea is that the gearbox oil washes
> the bearings....

Then it ought to be beneficial to fit a strong magnet on the end of any
drain plug in the head, or drill and tap a hole to allow for one, if
absent. The bearing would provide ample oil agitation for the magnet to
filter the oil, I figure

Erik

--
In our civilization, and under our republican form of government,
intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from