On 9/7/2013 4:03 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> I have been looking at 10" to 12" displays with HDMI input, which would
> be the cleanest setup, but they are more expensive than a 19". On the
> other hand, laptop displays could be had for free or almost free. The
> BBB seems to have an LCD port, which I haven't looked into yet. I was
> also considering hacking picture frames, but again have little
> information on these. Ideally, someone has already done all the work on
> one of these solutions, and I can just copy it. ;)

Your easiest path is using an HDMI display.

EBay is your friend here, just make sure you get a display with enough
pixels to see the entire LinuxCNC display.  I got an 800x480 7" display
which works great, but none of the (recent) UI choices for LinuxCNC work
well with this small (in pixels) of a screen.  :(

If you want small, the 7" 1024x600 displays should work well, which you
can get on eBay for under $90 US:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7inch-1024-600-LCD-PANEL-TM070DDH07-VGA-HDMI-2AV-USB-touch-remote-control-/251322267928?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a83f97918

If you want quick and easy, just go pick up an HDMI TV at your local
WalMart or equivalent.  Anything with a 720p or higher native resolution
should work OK, which should be most available displays these days.

Interfacing to a picture frame LCD is more hassle than it's worth,
unless you want to go through the experience (and gain the knowledge) of
trying to interface to a raw LCD panel which probably doesn't have specs
you can find online.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net