Gene Heskett wrote:

> The 3rd sensor, the index pulse generator establishes the start point on a
> synchronized move, and works well as long as the spindle speed is steady.
> Because of the acceleration delays in bringing the axis chosen up to speed
> from its parking position, the spindle speed cannot be adjusted in the
> middle of a G76 or G33.1 cycle without the thread moving sideways just
> enough to muck it up.  BTDT. :(

Not really true.  I demo rigid tapping on my minimill, and run the
spindle motor
off a servo amp, but in open-loop mode.  So, the spindle slows down when the
tap goes in the hole.  I believe it is at least a 20% speed drop during
the tapping.
But, it doesn't bind the 4-40 tap at all.  The index pulse is only used
once at
the beginning of the spindle-sync operation, then only the quadrature
info is
used to synch the axis to the spindle.  The encoder counter keeps a
continuous
count of the spindle rotations as a signed float (derived from an internal
signed integer).

I think you can get away with two sensors on a lathe, one index pulse
and one
sensor that produces X pulses per rev., as long as your encoder counter
scheme
(hardware or software) can be set to count pulses as opposed to quadrature.

Jon