On Wednesday 16 October 2013 14:28:15 Dave Cole did opine:

> In the midwest USA, that would be worth scrap value less the haul away
> charge..

I am in WV.  I don't think scrap cast even makes $180/ton here.

> Scrap like that is going for about $220 per ton around me.    That guy
> will be waiting a long..... time if he wants more than scrap value for
> it..
>
> Sounds like a lot of work!
>
> Dave

Looks like it too.  OTOH, it would keep me out of the bars for several
months.  His $500 includes local delivery.  He doesn't know what it weighs,
my guess would be some north of half a ton, but I'm not noted for being
good at such swags.

Looks like I'll pass in any event.  Hopefully I find out tomorrow how much
it will cost me to get a left knee that blocks x-rays.

> On 10/16/2013 2:04 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 October 2013 13:40:05 Dave Cole did opine:
> >> Sure Mach3 can have hardware issues also..  that is well documented.
> >> The usual solution is to use a different PC motherboard, which is
> >> pretty much what the LinuxCNC guys end up doing also.    Mach3 is
> >> not recommended for laptops since their power saving "features"
> >> often screw things up.
> >>
> >> I chatted with Brian Barker of Artsoft/Mach3 fame recently and he
> >> told me that the new Mach4 software is cross platform compatible and
> >> they are planning on being able to run it on Linux and dedicated
> >> hardware like the Beagle Bone..   So smart move.. and I stand
> >> corrected. He is still working on Mach4 vigorously.
> >>
> >> Has anyone heard of any new Intel Mini ITX board announcements? I
> >> thought that Intel was going to release some new Mini ITX boards
> >> either this fall or next Spring that did away with the VR video
> >> chips that have caused so many problems for Linux and were only
> >> Windows 7/8 compatible.
> >>
> >> The CPUs are on this list -- at the bottom and show a release date of
> >> 4th quarter, 2013 - NOW!
> >> http://ark.intel.com/products/family/29035
> >>
> >> They use Intel HD graphics which should fix a lot of things for Linux
> >> users ... I hope!
> >>
> >> Dave
> >
> > The one item I take note of is that there are no parportson these next
> > gen boards, so in addition to the correct psu, one would need to buy
> > a parport card in pci-e format, so the bottom line for the $51 board
> > is still pushing the $100 area by the time its actually moving
> > motors.
> >
> > It seems to me that more of the effort s/b directed at BBB
> > development. I am eagerly awaiting an i/o cape that either duplicates
> > the parport (less desirable though as thats an artificial line number
> > restriction), or perhaps even better, replaces my C1G breakouts,
> > hopefully having the opto buffering and tally leds that it (the C1G)
> > has. Only more of them because the BBB has more and can do more
> > things if the constraints of the db25 are removed.
> >
> > Nother Subject:
> >
> > There is an old Porter lathe, probably dating to around 1900,
> > presently sitting out in the weather, no motor, well rusted ways,
> > about a 12 or 14" obviously much newer 4 jaw chuck, about a 6 or 7
> > foot bed, no change gears either. Lantern style tool post is there,
> > but its WYSIWYG. Guy wants $500 for it, and I'd have to find a motor,
> > replace the screws with ball screws and rig some big steppers to run
> > them with LCNC.
> >
> > Question is, is it worth $20 for the cast iron, or worth making a
> > counteroffer on?
> >
> > It looks like its solid, but even more work than Andy's Rivet to get
> > it throwing swarf again.

> > Cheers, Gene

Cheers, Gene

It's great to be smart 'cause then you know stuff.
         law-abiding citizens.