> BTW, the splitting is usually done with the octtree approach (which was
> mentioned before).
> It can still generate a huge amount of data. If you want a block of 10"
> split down to 1mil (0.001"), or 4 orders of magnitude, then you need a
> tree-depth of 14. That would be worst case 10^12 leaf nodes, which is
> computationally unfeasible. Even a measly 1% fill is 10^10 leaf nodes,
> which no ordinary computer would want to deal with.
> My guess is that you could get max. ~2.5 orders of magnitude resolution
> for any result that should complete in the near future.

The problem with a simple voxel model is that for a resolution r, the
storage requirement scales with the volume as r^3 (or 1/r^3 depending on
how you define resolution). Dan Heeks's cutting simulation uses this
approach I think.
http://code.google.com/p/voxelcut/

The adaptive approaches subdivide only when necessary, at the stock
surface, and so in theory the memory requirement scales with the area or
r^2.

I'd suggest the future insanely-great linuxcnc cutting-simulator should
allow for easily swapping out the stock-model / cutting-engine. The voxel
approach might be faster but coarser, and we all have 32 gigs of RAM anyway
right? For slower and more accurate work an adaptive octree might be
preferable.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record player, but I'll repeat anyway:
what is needed now is a sound basic framework for pushing these ideas
forward - the basic algorithms or individual parts already exist. we need:
- a GUI that displays G-code in one window, and a 3D opengl view in another
window.
- play, pause, stop buttons that run the interpreter on said G-code, and
produces internal 'canon' calls for the cutting-engine
- a sound, minimal but complete, API for the cutting engine
-- tool library (G-code does not define tools!)
-- method for defining stock (G-code does not define stock!)
-- 'canonical' G-code moves
-- graphics output for the 3D view. probably vertex-arrays and
polygon-arrays in memory that is shared between the cutting-engine and the
3D view.
This should probably run in two or three separate threads, to keep the 3D
view and G-code view/buttons responsive.

Anders