On 12/17/2013 07:09 PM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I dusted off my CNC machine which required a bit of TLC.
>
> The system is now perfectly stable and all axis work using both Manual
> Control and MDI. Shortly after I try to run gcode it stops with most often a
> following error or sometimes something is silently throwing the estop.
>
> I am using Pico's universal stepper controller with their gecko interface.
>
> Please see a plot of the axis that is causing the following error on my test
> gcode:
>
>       http://3dtopo.com/z-servo-plot.png
>
> I am really stumped, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ah, you say the Gecko interface.  So, you probably are using
brush servo motors and the Gecko 320 step-servo drive.
It may just be running out of dynamic range.  What is your
power supply voltage?  I see in the delta plot that the velocity
is ramping up to 5 units, meaning 5 encoder counts/servo
period, or typically 5000 counts/second.  Taking a wild
assumption
of 500 cycle/rev encoders, that would be 2.5 revs/second or
150 RPM, which doesn't sound very fast.  But, if they are
500 count/rev encoders, that would be 600 RPM.  Depending
on the motor and the supply voltage, that could be as fast as
it can go.

Also, there are parameters in the .ini file such as
MAX_VELOCITY
PID_MAX_VEL
OUTPUT_SCALE

OUTPUT_SCALE is a **divider**, so larger numbers reduce the
output command to the step generator.  Generally, it is left at
1.0 (or -1.0 to reverse direction).
MAX_VELOCITY and PID_MAX_VEL are in user units per SECOND.
PID_MAX_VEL should be slightly higher than MAX_VELOCITY to
give the PID calculation a little headroom for acceleration.
Make sure these ini file settings are sufficient for your
machine.

It looks from your plot that the move is about .4" per second,
or 24 IPM.  Figure out how many RPM you need to move at that
speed, then work backwards from supply voltage and motor
ratings to see if the voltage can give that speed.

Feel free to contact me if the above hints don't point you
to the solution.

Jon
Jon