On 22-12-2013 22:54, Bas de Bruijn wrote:
>> Ik kan kop noch staart ontdekken aan je resultaten, something's
>> completely wrong!
>>
> nou ik ben het spoor ook behoorlijk bijster. Ik ben redelijk bekend met
> industriele automatisering en electronica en het uizoeken/lezen van
> datasheets, wat hacken hier en daar en vaak kom ik er wel uit.
>
>> Your description also puzzles me: Potmeter on J6 is clear. But "J7
>> and
>> J8 jumpers"? Do
>> you mean you've short circuit jumpers on the J7 and J8 inputs?
> yes

Strange, because each jumper should generate a  low ADC reading.

>> What's the value of the potmeter?
> set at approx 1k (had to steal a 9V battery from my son his RC car
> because Murphy made sure my multimeter battery was empty. The things we
> do for our hobbies ....

Sometime, Murphy will punish you for this act ;-)

> [...]
> linuxcnc@arm:~$ cat `find /sys/devices/ -name in_voltage[456]_raw`
> 1331
> 4070
> 3585

These values are completely wrong. It looks like the numbering of the analog
inputs is mixed up. J8 should corresponding to input 4, J7 to input 5
and J6 to input 6.
You are getting the result of J8 on input 5.

The fact that you are seeing the J8 signal on input 5 instead of on
input 4 indicates
you're using the BeBoPr pin assignments instead of the Bridged BeBoPr
assignments.
The other two inputs (J6 & J7) then go to adc inputs 1 and 3, you might
be able to
verify this by changing the 456 to 135 !

> But I see something emerge... Here is my entire screendump of the
> console (used putty for ssh-ing into the BBB because I need to copy and
> paste all this info)
> seems that every 8th time I do "cat `find /sys/devices/ -name
> in_voltage[456]_raw`" i get this error message. And something happening
> at the 8th time seems like something to do with bits and bytes to
> me..... (don't ask me what, I'm just a mechanical engineer)

Yeah, that's a known problem with the ADC driver, introduced with the
3.8 kernel.

-- Bas