On 01/03/2014 11:03 AM, Jared Turner wrote:

> I’m using a BBB with LinuxCNC to retrofit an old CNC mill. I have all
> of the stepper motors working, but I would like to add programmatic
> control of the spindle. The motor drive uses an analog signal, so I
> bought a digital pot so the speed can be controlled digitally. How do
> I add support for this with the existing HAL code? I want to retain
> the extruder control so I can use the mill for a 3d printer. I have a
> link to the digital pot’s datasheet below. Thanks for the help.

Spindle drivers come in different forms, but often are VFDs or SCR DC.

VFDs are often controlled with a PWM signal going to an opto-coupler. An
example is here:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?VFD_Digital/Analog_Interface

also try searching 'vfd' on the wiki:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

Or with SCR or KBIC type drivers, again a PWM and opto-coupler can be used:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/kbic/

The SCR drivers usually have a floating input at high voltage, so be
careful.

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Closed_Loop_Spindle_Speed_Control

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=4ee7c2af33a2df353290adab83b731b7

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/man/man9/pwmgen.9.html