On 6 January 2014 03:54, Andy <a...@evanspt.com> wrote:

> however I've been wondering how I could tie the feed rate to the motor
> load.  I'll try to get my head around this as I move forward on my project.

If you can find a way to get motor current data from the spindle drive
into HAL then LinuxCNC has adaptive feed capability built-in.
The difficulty here is that there isn't a huge range of analogue-input
hardware for LinuxCNC.
What are you using to generate the step pulses?

> http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/06/KL-8082H.pdf

That says 10uS step length and 200kHz. Which doesn't add up really.
(200 kHz is 5uS combined step + dir)
direction setup is quoted as 5uS, though if it was my machine I think
I would be tempted to configure it in CC/CCW mode rather than
step/dir.

> These drivers are supposed handle the encoder feedback and do any
> necessary travel corrections.   As I understand, LinuxCNC has the
> capability to use the encoders, so maybe I would be better off with
> Geckos and wiring the encoders back to EMC2?

LinuxCNC can handle the encoders, but only at quite low count rates
unless you add extra hardware. Parallel-port counting tops out at
about 20kHz, which with a high-count encoder can be rather a low motor
speed.

You can view the drive/motor combination as a conventional stepper
drive, except one that can detect stalls and that will never
(mechanically) miss a step rather than a servo system.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.