On 02/06/2014 07:28 AM, Christopher Purcell wrote:
> Previous two attempts at posting this have silently failed. Not obvious if
> lists.sourceforge.net or something else is filtering me...
>
> Today I was reading the Axis 2.5 documentation:
>
> http://www.linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/gui/axis.html
>
> and noted for the first time Section 6, describing the program named mdi,
> which provides a manual data input function to a running LinuxCNC process.
> While testing this mdi program using simple G01 moves on a 3 axis stepper
> machine, using Axis V2.5.3 I see it does not queue commands, but subsequent
> tasks can interrupt previous incomplete ones. This is not how the MDI command
> function works in Axis, which queues tasks, so that each one completes. Is
> this interrupt behaviour a feature of the mdi program, or something with six
> legs?

I think the mdi program is very rarely used.  I think it was more a
proof of concept than a serious implementation of a user interface, and
i'm not surprised to hear it behaves in unexpected ways.

The MDI tab in Axis is much more widely used, and should work much
better.  Could you use it instead?

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky