On Friday 28 February 2014 23:37:02 Jon Elson did opine:

> On 02/28/2014 12:01 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Isn't that an SSR Jon?  How does it turn off then?
>
> It is a classic optocoupler, good to DC.  Crydom and Omron also
> make DC SSRs, which I guess are FETs and a photovoltaic receiver
> to turn it on.  The board I make is good to 15 mA at 60 V, so
> purely for signal applications, like turning a VFD on and off.
>
> Jon

Humm, and its switching speed FFR?  The sparkfun gizmo is supposed to do
about 4 u-s to on, and 5 u-s to off.  That shouldn't be more tan 1%
distortion of the pwmgen's output timing since I am presently running at
about 120hz for the rep rate, more in deference to the lack of speed in the
C-41 than any good and real reason.  Certainly no use going much faster
when its increments are in SERVO_THREAD units.  At 2khz, 120hz rep rate,
the steps, before dither are about 6%.

OTOH, I probably do NOT have an optimized setup, from the hal file:

gene@lathe:~/linuxcnc/configs/my-lathe$ grep pwmgen my-lathe.hal
loadrt  pwmgen                          output_type=0
addf    pwmgen.make-pulses              base-thread
addf    pwmgen.update                   servo-thread

# setup spindle pwmgen.0
setp    pwmgen.0.pwm-freq               120.0
setp    pwmgen.0.scale                  1500    # sorta like a gain control
setp    pwmgen.0.offset                 0.069   # overcome friction in drive?
set s60=1 rps
setp    pwmgen.0.dither-pwm             true
setp    pwmgen.0.max-dc                 0.99
setp    pwmgen.0.min-dc                 0.001   # min duty cycle .5% or just
creeping rpm
# then feed output to pwmgen.0.value
net     spindle-pwm-fixed               lincurve.0.out
pwmgen.0.value
net     spindle-switch                  flipflop.0.out
pwmgen.0.enable pid.0.enable    mux2.0.sel      not.2.in
net     pwm-out                         pwmgen.0.pwm
parport.0.pin-14-out

Comments? Either flavor.  Lincurve.0.in is the PID.out, with level gains
tweaked for fairly smooth PID.0.in vs motor speeds out.  Some of the
tweaking is substantially compressed at the high end as the gain vs rpms
seems to have a very exponential curve approaching vertical in the top
20% of the speed range I am using.

Cheers, Gene

NOTICE: Will pay 100 USD for an HP-4815A defective but
complete probe assembly.