I am currently still fumbling around with this.
I have done a minimum install to a 2gb memory card,If i can squeeze it
on here i am sure it will go on the eMMc.:-\

At the moment there is over 1g free in the rootfs.

Now i am going to try to create a deb package with no docs etc,using an
8g card as my developer system and The machinekit image,which i believe
includes the developer stuff.

Then hopefully install the deb to the 2gb card and let it, install it's
dependencies.

I hope a Desktop enviroment is not one of them?.