On 2014-03-21 19:15, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On 03/21/2014 09:57 AM, Marius Liebenberg wrote:
> ... snip
>> The change over from one spindle to the other will happen as a move to
>> the centre of the lathe where the reference position will be. There will
>> be code in the beginning of the job loop to probe the material and then
>> run the gcode from there. So I envisage some python code to control the
>> spindles via hal. The solution will have a gladevcp panel with cotrols
>> on it. Probaly to select the right spindle and to swap the coordinate
>> system. That is why I want to keep the gcode as one file and do the swap
>> in some other fashion. I was hoping to use MDI to swap the coordinates.
>>
>> I am sorry I am not close to the machine so I cannot send a picture of it.
>>

> Maybe something like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJov8SdmsS4
That is awesome stuff. Mine is nothing as complicated though and the
position of the two spindles are fixed

> I would tend to use the hardware and LinuxCNC as-is then do all the
> customization in a CAM or a g-code generator. Switching Z axis direction
> on the fly seems risky or difficult.

I tend to agree with you and that is what I planned from the word go.
However once you look at the variables in the operational conditions, it
is not that simple. There are to many choices that could influence how
the thing works. And the biggest thing is that the machine will only
ever make one part. There are four parts to set and they are going to
have four machines that does a single type of part each. So if I have
done it once then it is done. No need for CAM to confuse them.

--

Regards /Groete

Marius D. Liebenberg
+27 82 698 3251