On Sat, 2014-03-29 at 15:02 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 29, 2014, at 12:01 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> > On 03/29/2014 03:39 AM, Jeshua Lacock wrote:
> > >

> > > My 1080 pound 4x5 foot granite surface has a glass cut looking surface
> > > that I bought surplus.
> > > Anyways, do you think the reason it is shiny is because it is grade A,
> > > while the grade B should be matte?
> > >

> > It is most likely an optical bench, made to be extremely
> > stable and free
> > of vibration, and probably had air bellows supporting it.
> > It is probably
> > NOT a surface plate, ie. one that is ground with diamond
> > paste to
> > be flat to within some insane tolerance for inspection purposes.
> > The fact it has a mirror finish means it was polished, not
> > lapped
> > against other plates, in the time-honored 3-plate method of
> > automatic generation of flats.
> >

> I'm inclined to agree with Jon.  When I saw the photo I
> thought it looked pretty thin to be a surface plate.  A little
> googling says a 48x60 surface plate is typically 6 or 8
> inches thick and weighs over 2000 lbs.  A thinner plate
> will sag from its own weight.  Not a problem for an
> optical bench, as long as it is stable.  Big problem for
> a surface plate.

Some years ago when Boeing Surplus - Kent was still open they were
selling a base for a CMM. Maybe 1.5 m square and 30 cm thick pink
granite with another maybe 1 m square by 30 cm thick granite centered
under it and I assume epoxied to it. Good buy if you needed one .. $400
or so and they would load it for you. ;-)

Dave