For the TL;DR bunch, my question - when implementing these, should they have
smarts in them to prevent gouging or overloading the tool?  Or is it assumed
that the operator/programmer is smart enough not to try something dangerous?

Detailed question.

I want to implement these as wizards.  I see there is already work done here
(http://linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/40-subroutines-and-ngcgui/11414
-metric-lathe-subroutines-g71-g72-etc-etc) so I'll probably "borrow" from
that.

My question is related to what should the cycles do, if anything, when there
is potential tool gouging, or excessive loading of the tool.

There is a great picture of what I'm talking about here
(http://www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum/20-g-code/27040-g71-g70-cyc
le-for-lathes-first-tests).  In the picture at the bottom, if that was
really the lathe tool being used, it would gouge the work piece as it hit
the 90 degree shoulder at the left (both in roughing passes, and finishing).

I've read Shmid and he says that if there is a 90 degree shoulder, the
cycles will only rough up to the final surface and will not cut that face on
a finishing pass.

So I can implement that and rely on the operator to select the correct tool.

What about things like the arcs - in the left most arc, as the tool moves
left during a finishing pass, it will be taking heavier cuts if multiple
finishing passes are a fixed offset from final profile.   Should I be taking
into account the amount of material that is being removed?   Do fanuc and
haas cycles do this?  This will complicate the configuration by needed to
know the tool geometry.

Frank