On 5/5/2014 2:48 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:

> But its certainly better advice now, having lived with it, sitting on that
> mdf in 2 locations now and never getting a straight turn out of it.  I have
> looked carefully at where the headstock is sitting on the bed, and can't
> see any evidence of debris holding it apart anyplace.  But that only says I
> can't see it even if its there.

I had two 7x lathes. One was an early Grizzly import, serial number 346
IIRC. The thing was a cast iron turd. It had been abused (apparently
with hammers etc.) by previous owners.

I took it all apart, repaired the damage, did a few modifications, and
made it into a usable lathe.

Its largest problem was one corner of the headstock had been dinged some
time after its bottom had been machined, leaving a raised edge. Another
problem was the edges of the three bolt holes in the bed were raised. A
file and a countersink took care of those and a rag wiped off the pieces
of crud that were trapped between. After that that lathe cut very well.

Didn't help the crude SCR chopper driver and its lack of torque at low
RPM but it did the jobs I needed it to do.

The other one was a Homier, one of their early imports, though much much
later than when Grizzly started.

There's a version of the 7x out there which is quite a bit higher
quality than the usual version. It has a double ball bearing on the
carriage wheel shaft, the apron is thicker to accommodate the bearings.
The saddle is rectangular, heavier than the other version's H shape, and
machined all over. It also has four headstock bolts VS three, way wipers
on the saddle and an adjustable nut with a set screw in its end to take
up any axial movement in the leadscrew.

The original Homier 7x was that version and it was pretty much ready to
go out of the box.

---
is active.