On Saturday 10 May 2014 17:07:42 Erik Friesen did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Is there something simple I am missing to view and test the spindle
> speed in Axis?  I have a + and - , but no place to manually enter a
> speed to test

That would be by way of the MDI facility.  Hit F5 on the keyboard to
switch, F3 to switch back.  Machine MUST be previously homed.

Speed is set by the S number, M starts/stops/reverses

Something like
S500 M3
will start it forward, M5 will stop it, and M4 will turn it in reverse if
your hal is setup to do that.

Cheers, Gene