On 6 June 2014 18:15, Dave Cole <linuxcncro...@gmail.com> wrote:

I don't see a tool holder.   Perhaps this is a "lingo" issue.   The tool
> holder holds the square bit that is ground to shape.

Ah, right. I have never used separate bits of tool steel like that. I am
not sure how prevalent they ever were in the UK.
I have only really seen solid HSS tools or brazed-carbide used on lathes,
and I have only seen lathe tools used on a shaper.
Actually, I might have seen the odd brazed-on bit of stellite or HSS, and I
am not considering carbide insert tooling)

<digression>
It's a strange thing, but I enjoy making things on a lathe far more than on
a mill. This may be because I am far more familiar with a lathe.
Shaping is somewhere nearer lathe work than milling for me.
Perhaps it would be different if I had the same convenience macros for the
mill as I have for the lathe. With the lathe I can just put metal in the
chuck and start on the part with no real thought or planning.

--
atp
If you can't fix it, you don't own it.