On 06/09/2014 10:05 PM, Gregg Eshelman wrote:
> On 6/9/2014 7:10 PM, Kirk Wallace wrote:
>> On 06/09/2014 05:48 PM, Trần Ngọc Quân wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> Serial is slow, but it fast enough for on/off spindle, water pump; read
>>> from emergent stop button, limit switch etc.
>>> So can linuxcnc combinate lpt (and other ones) with com port?
>>>

>> I would suggest using Modbus. Serial R232 to RS484/422 adapters are
>> common. LinuxCNC supports Modbus in ClassicLadder or with Python and
>> LibModbus. Modbus is designed for machine control and is common on VFDs
>> and with microcontrollers. Search the LinuxCNC wiki for Modbus for more
>> information.
>
> So it can use an RS232 connection to a VFD to control on/off fwd/rev,
> while everything else is running through a different control board?

It's not clear to me what the original post was asking.

Generally, if I were to use the PC's serial port for I/O control, I
would use Modbus. It is designed for industrial control. It has decent
speed over long distances in noisy environments. This can not be said
for USB, I2C, or the other popular PC based serial systems. Most VFD and
PLC units have Modbus features. Also an Arduino or other
micro-controller can be used for all sorts of analog, digital and PWM I/O.

For a VFD, the advantage of Modbus over simple digital I/O is in being
able to do more than the control of speed and direction.  One can also
monitor; voltage, load, frequency and other status features. Features
can also be set or modified if needed.

There was a hint of using the parallel port with serial, or using the
parallel port for serial communications. Both of these are possible.
LinuxCNC has no problem mixing signals from different ports for the same
application. Such as using parallel port pins and an FPGA signal
generator for a tool changer.

For serial data from a parallel port -- early in my study of Modbus I
used a few parallel port pins to bit bang the serial data to my VFD. It
worked fairly well but is not the best way to go.

There is also documentation in the Wiki describing how to use serial
port pins such as RTS, DTS, and such for digital I/O. The advantage here
is that these pins run at +/- 12 volts for better noise immunity if needed.

The above assumes one has the skill to write software in order to
customize what LinuxCNC has to offer. Otherwise, one would need to study
the existing configurations to see if one of them matches one's
requirements.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/