On Wednesday 16 July 2014 13:12:27 Gene Heskett did opine
And Gene did reply:
> The HD in the lathes box died this morning.
>
> New 2T Toshiba being formatted by the install disk now. Rated at
> 6Gb/sec, but that atom box can't even stress a 1.5Gb/sec drive.  So
> the format for a 2T drive takes quite a while.
>
> Anything I need to know that I've long forgotten since the last install
> was about 2 or 3 years ago?
>
> Fortunately I have amanda backups of the home dir where all the needed
> data lives. But I've never done a recovery over the network.  I'll ask
> on the amanda list for that though.
>
> Thanks all.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

2 installs later, one with the bios in IDE emulation and one with it in
AHCI. The bios can find the disk, but not as bootable, so it jumps
straight to a pass at establishing a network boot using DHCP.

I set the wait on HD up to 10 seconds, but the DCHP attempt comes up long
before the 10 seconds is up.

So the other drive is likely still good too.

Suggestions?  I'll go see if it will do a boot for a live session just to
see if the drive is there, but I need to find a copy of gparted and make
it bootable.  Weird. the drive might be too big at 2Tb.  I don't like it
that the board may have died. We can't buy some more of those.