All I can say...  Is that I have had the cheap vices and tried to get one
ground even to be flat and square.   The reality tho is that if you really
want to make parts and not screw around with things and waste time,  the
Kurt vises and some of the other top end vises are worth every single thin
penny you pay for them. Believe me when I tell you this.  A cheap vise WILL
wind up costing you more than a quality one either in time spent or
replacing it with a quality vise when you finally get totally frustrated
with it and pull your last hair out trying to get it flat and square.  It
is just that simple. I WISH I had saved my pennies and just bought a kurt
the first time around I would have made a whole bunch of more accurate
parts and been able to rely on things being flat square plumb etc etc.
instead of spending lots of time trying to shim stuff and tap and beat on
it until it is where I needed it where the kurt would have put it exactly
where I needed it the very first time.  I know $500.00 plus is a tough pill
to swallow sometimes but believe me if you are serious about milling even a
little bit you will smile and thank yourself every time you clamp something
up in it.  Don't even get me started about jaw deflection and parallelism
let alone clamping force.  I recently worked in a pro shop for awhile and
the guys there used to chuckle at me because I had a habit of killing the
part in the vise with the vise handle because I was so used to having to
really dog down on my cheap ass vises not realizing that the kurt imparts
the vast majority of the torque you put into the handle into the clamping
force.  It really is a beast of a vise and the tendency to murder the parts
having been used to the cheap vise and having parts occasionally come loose
while heavy milling puts the fear of God into you so you get kinda
overzealous LOL.   The kurt takes away all of these problems and just holds
the parts securely and squarely the first time with even a light touch on
the clamping handle.  Nuffsaid. Peace

Pete