On Wednesday 23 July 2014 22:48:50 Stuart Stevenson did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Jul 23, 2014 5:35 PM, "Steve Blackmore" <st...@pilotltd.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:20:05 +0300, you wrote:
> > >do you still think that everybody else are fools and you are the
> > >only smart guy around here?
> > >Do not be so helpless! I know that you are on this list for at least
> > >4 years and this link has been mentioned here numerous times:
> > >http://buildbot.linuxcnc.org/dists/
> > >
> > >I hope that you do understand, how to proceed further. Just in case
> > >you
>
> don't:
> > >1) select folder that matches Ubuntu version you are running;
> > >2) select which version of LinuxCNC you want; I suppose it would be
>
> "master-rt";
>
> > If you only suppose - how I am I supposed to know which one I want?
> >
> > >3) I suppose you are running 32-bit Ubuntu and want a binary
> > >package, so "binary-i386" is the choice;
> > >4) then download deb packages of particular buildbot version - there
> > >are linuxcnc, linuxcnc-dev and docs packages available.
> >
> > Then what do you do?
> >
> > >5) even my girlfrien knows, how to install downloaded deb
> > >packages...
> >
> > So what? I'm not her... I don't!
> >
> > Sorry - but if it aint as simple as
> >
> > Go to web page
> > Select release or latest beta
> > (with explanations of differences)
> > download
> > double click downloaded file
> >
> > and it installs your average non linux user wont bother and the very
> > reason linuxcnc isn't more popular.
>
> Steve,
>
> Would it be possible the LinuxCNC group doesn't care that much about
> non linux users converting to some flavor of linux? I think it would
> be very possible.

I'd go so far as to say highly probable, Stuart.

> I don't know of anyone working on usb style (sutomagic) self
> configuration.

With the latencies of a usb circuit added to the mix, its a total non-
starter.  They can be north of 100 milliseconds on a bad day.  You simply
cannot control dangerous machinery with that sort of lag/latency.

> A non linux user not wishing to get his 'hands' dirty in the software
> probably will not want to get his hands dirty wiring a machine or
> fixing a ball screw. Perhaps, for the LinuxCNC group, having a not
> insignificant hurdle to jump will eliminate a lot of 'problems'.

Amen & thanks.

> I use Linux for everything possible and I will sometimes recommend
> Windows in response to someone asking what should be purchased. When
> the eyes glaze over as I describe even testing linux and all the
> choices of distributions I will rather quickly suggest a Windows box
> from Best Buy.
>
> just my 2 cents

Worth a bit more than that Stuart.  I always adjust for inflation since I
was born nearly 80 years back up the log, which makes that 2 cents worth
at least a buck these days. ;-)

> Stuart
>
> > Steve Blackmore
> > --

Steve, you've helped me on occasion, so I am somewhat puzzled at the
negativity of your recent posts.  Is there a reason for that?