On Saturday 16 August 2014 10:26:12 Marius Liebenberg did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On 2014-08-16 15:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 16 August 2014 08:31:49 Marius Liebenberg did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:
> >> Does LCNC adapt the feed rate to achieve CSS or does the spindle
> >> speed vary?
> >
> > CSS is generally a lathe only function, and needs a controllable
> > spindle as it will vary the spindle speed upward as the workpiece
> > gets smaller. I've tried it a few times on my toy 7x12 but usually
> > run out of spindle rpms obtainable at the size of the stuff I play
> > with, like a new nipple for one of my BP rifles.  That starts with
> > 1/2" stock.  I am presently geared for about 1500 revs top.  When I
> > get the lathe back up and running, I need to get a stick of 1/2" SS
> > as it won't corrode so fast.  Todays shotgun primers leave nasty
> > stuff behind.
> >
> > IIRC You were working on a spindle encoder a while back, did you get
> > it working?
>
> Yes it is going but I am not sure that my scaling is correct although
> the calculations seem to work out.

I've used both a round tach dial and the slider.  The speeds reported, if
the math starting with the number of edges per rev the encoder disk
outputs is known correctly. Just set up the scale, in my case its input is
rps obtained from the encoder's velocity, multiply by 60 and you have the
rpms.  Its noisy so you may have to put a lowpass module with a small
gain, perhaps .05, in series with the chosen display to settle the display
well enough to get a decently stable reading, but its dead accurate if the
signals are known.