Peter thank you

motors from one 7i39. if a brushed motor was connected to half bridges A and
B, I _think_ >what is needed is to drive A with the PID output and B with
-PID output.

>You can also dedicate one 1/2 bridge output as a 1/2 way up reference and
then run up to 5 small dc  motors (1/2 voltage 1/5 current) from the other 5
1/2 bridges

Ingenious - but it leaves one short on encoder interfacing. I will try the A
and B with ++Pid-out and --Pid-out

>> The ideal card for the brushed motor would be a 7i40. Would it be
>> practicable to have Hostmot2 firmware for both 7i39 and 7i40 co-exist
>> in the 5i20? If so does a BIT file exist with this combination.
>>

>Not sure if theres a standard bitfile for that but its easy copy-paste a
pinout up and make one

I have a spare 7i40 so I think I ought to learn how to do this - I see
resources on the web that will start me going.

Is ISE Webpack 9.2 still your preferred version for 5i20 and 5i22 (Spartan
2) boards? What OS would you run it on - I feel concerned that it is so old
that it will give trouble on my Win 8.1 (64 bit) system. I can run some
Linux flavour in a V-Box to provide any environment to best suit the app.

Do you have a link to a document showing the  "compile" workflow for your
firmware?  A few years ago I have written standalone FPGA and CPLD code for
Xilinx - albeit in Verilog so hope not to prove a total nooby.

TIA

John Prentice