On Friday 26 September 2014 09:11:41 Mark Wendt did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 26 September 2014 08:43:58 Mark Wendt did opine
> >
> > And Gene did reply:

> > > Yup.  But no need to reboot the machine for the bash update.  All
> > > you need to do is type 'exec bash' on any command line terminals
> > > you have open or log out and log back in.
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > I have several bash scripts that are executed and run forever at boot
> > time, so in order to get fresh copies into memory, a reboot is needed
> > here.
> >
> > But its better advice than you might think.  In those systems that
> > have an /etc/init.d directory, those are all or nearly all bash
> > scripts regardless of their actual name. All of those need to be
> > restarted using the new bash to be assured there are no old,
> > susceptible versions in memory.
> >
> > The point I failed to make the first time.
>
> A reboot is still not required.  Simply restart the services.  Or do a
> 'pkill -HUP <process_name>'.

Chuckle, but then I would have to remember what services were in fact
running.  With my well aged wet ram, suffering from short term bit rot,
its easier to just click on restart and restore to the baseline.

> Unless you are replacing the kernel on a Linux/Unix machine, there's
> really no need to reboot a system for something like this.

On this machine only, 3.16.0 with PAE support (8Gb of dram) is the current
favorite.  But that also means the only LCNC that runs is the sim's.
Nothing in the machine metal hardware category present here, so thats
adequate.