On Friday 03 October 2014 11:38:26 Billy Huddleston did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I have a D525MW setup.. using pport and I do use the PC's 12v supply to
> switch some relays.. and to handle a charge pump which has a
> integrated 5v relay If memory serves me.  I'm doing away with the
> pport and moving to 5i25 + 7i76 setup.. and was planning on using the
> PC's 12v supply again.. but, after reading this.. I'm a tad concerned.
>  Question.. Does the flyback diode have to be placed at the coils? or
> can one be placed at the supply, in front of all the relays?  I'm be
> using DIN style relays.. or will the 7i76 handle that as the 12v from
> the PC will be used as field power ?
>
> Thanks, Billy

Short answer is no, and so is the long answer.

Speaking as the CET I am:

Those diodes need to be as close to the coil as physically possible, right
across the coil terminals or located on the lines on the pcb going to the
terminals. for best response time considerations. Not beyind the coil, but
between the coiul and its drive.

Generally a 1n914 is sufficient for small coils, maybe a generic 1N4000
family for bigger coils, but if you can find something faster than a
1N4000 series, the rest of the circuit will applaud you.

Schotkey would be even better as long as the normally applied coil voltage
is within the schotkeys reverse ratings.