> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 16:59:18 +0100
> From: andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Oscilloscope + logic analyzer (PC based)
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)"
>       <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
>
> On 11 October 2014 02:53, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
>> burnt teflon
>
> This advice probably comes far too late, but you need to be _very_
> careful with burned teflon. (or any other fluorocarbon).
> One product of combustion is Hydrofluoric acid.
>
>>From WIkipedia:
> "Hydrogen fluoride is generated upon combustion of many
> fluorine-containing compounds such as products containing Viton and
> polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon) parts.[17] Hydrofluorocarbons in
> automatic fire suppression systems can release hydrogen fluoride at
> high temperatures, and this has led to deaths from acute respiratory
> failure in military personnel when a rocket-propelled grenade hit the
> fire suppression system in their vehicle.[18]"

Bl**dy horrible stuff that it is, it doesnt scare me quite as much as
some of the other joyful aspects of fluorine chemistry; if you have an
idle couple of minutes see here:

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride.php

http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time.php

And the Sainted Stross:
http://www.tor.com/stories/2012/07/a-tall-tail

Its a cruel irony that the cure for the fire killed them.

Cousin of mine was a Captain in the Irish Guards, and when they came in
from patrol all the wagons had to take their turn in a special bay where
the sappers would remove the (often multiple) RPG rounds that were stuck
in between the bars of the slat armour!

Id love to have a go at stir welding, (its used for the main vehicle
'armour' - about 2" of aluminium!), but I doubt an aluminium extrusion
machine has the rigidity to stir weld beeswax.

This thread has deviated somewhat, I hope you found a decent scope/LA in
the end.