On 11/07/2014 10:30 AM, Eric Keller wrote:
> Vesa worked fine.  The open source Nvidia drivers were not good for
> latency.  You may wish to go with an interface that doesn't use 3d.  I
> believe that the problem with the Nvidia system is that they want a
> specific kernel layout and it doesn't work with the RTAI kernel, but I
> can't be sure

(Thinking more this may not affect boot problems, but anyway...)

I have a very limited understanding of this, but here is my take on it.
I think many LinuxCNC video issues are due to OpenGL, which is used for
the Gremlin backplot application.

OpenGL is supposed to be a more direct interface to the video hardware.
It is a library of functions that allow talking to the video hardware to
create shapes and shading. Unfortunately, the manufacturers control the
hardware, and they don't usually like to share their ... well anything
but your money. So, we have to live with their closed drivers that don't
cater to Linux, or try dodgy reverse engineered open drivers, or bypass
the issue.

For LinuxCNC there are two options for OpenGL. The common one is:

libgl1-mesa-glx

which is an API that talks to video hardware (BTW it's a different
Mesa). The other is:

libgl1-mesa-swx11

which is a software only version that doesn't talk to video hardware and
is also much slower. One can try running GLXgears and if it crashes,
switch to the swx11 version. To see which version is active, open
Synaptic, type "libgl1" into the Quick Search box, and see which libgl1
from above has the green box next to it. If you decide to change your
active libgl1, Mark the inactive version and Apply. You should get a
message indicating that some files will be uninstalled. This is because
each version is mutually exclusive. Make note of the files you unloaded
in case you have trouble putting things back the way they where.

Hopefully, someone that knows better will correct any above misinformation.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/